Who We Serve
Sand Castle offers 30 to 45 day residential programs to LaPorte County families: primarily single moms with children; sometimes families headed by couples or dads, too. When space is available, we accept single women. All family members must test free of drugs and alcohol.
Sand Castle, along with Grace Learning Center, Keys to Hope, and Food Rescue Initiative, work collectively with partners to provide our participants the tools and skill sets for returning to sustainable self-sufficiency.
Single men are referred to the InterFaith Community PADS Emergency Overnight Shelter
Domestic violence victims are referred to Stepping Stone Shelter for Women.
Those that are from other counties and those with alcohol, substance abuse or debilitating mental illness are referred to other agencies equipped to help with those issues.
How We Serve Them
- We can accommodate seven families, each in a private room
- The average stay is six weeks
- Children attend the schools they were in before housing loss
- Clients must leave the building Monday thru Friday, 9 AM to 4:00 PM to work, seek work, apply for assistance or look for an affordable apartment
- Each adult completes daily chores to keep the property neat and clean
- A case manager meets with each family daily, to set goals, measure progress, affirm efforts, provide information about other helpful programs and talk through obstacles
- Staff persons offer a listening ear and provide empathy and encouragement
- Families must observe a 9 PM curfew, unless working later
- 75% of income earned during their stay must be saved toward future housing
- Skill building classes (at Grace Learning Center) are required:
- Landlord Tenant law
- Nutrition & Cooking
- Get the Job, Keep the Job
- Health Notebook
- Green Cleaning on a Dime
- Healthy Relationships
- We respect the privacy of our residents and never reveal any information unless specifically authorized to do so by the resident.